Below are links to publicly available documents related to planetary protection, astrobiology, and solar system exploration.
- Documents are presented in either HTML or PDF formats (a free PDF viewer can be downloaded from Acrobat).
- Many of the following reports are also summarized on this page, courtesy of Margaret Race from the SETI Institute.
NASA Online Library and Reports Server
NASA Planetary Protection Policy & Related Documents
- If any links to a NPR, NPD, or NPI are no longer active, please directly search for the document in the NODIS Library.
- Handbook for the Microbial Examination of Space Hardware (NASA-HDBK-6022, 8.17.2010)
International Treaties and Policies Regarding Planetary Protection
- : Article IX of the 1967 United Nations Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, Including the Moon and Other Bodies
- (International Council for Science): COSPAR Planetary Protection Policy
Communication Strategy for the Office of Planetary Protection
Life Detection, Mars Special Regions, & Mars Sample Return
- A New Analysis of Mars ‘‘Special Regions’’: Findings of the Second MEPAG Special Regions Science Analysis Group
- Workshop on Life Detection in Extraterrestial Samples: Report of the workshop for life detection in samples from Mars.
- Conference on Life Detection in Extraterrestial Samples: Conference summary: life detection in extraterrestrial samples.
- Mars Sample Return backward contamination – Strategic advice and requirements; European Science Foundation & European Space Sciences Committee.
Human Missions & Planetary Protection
- Workshop on Planetary Protection Knowledge Gaps for Human Extraterrestrial Missions, NASA Ames Research Center, 2015
- Expanding Options for Implementing Planetary Protection During Human Space Exploration and Robotic Precursor Missions (2014), Interim Report, IAA Study.
- Preparing for the Human Exploration of Mars: Health Care and Planetary Protection Requirements and Practices (J.D. Rummel & C.A. Conley IAC A1.5-15689 (2012)).
- COSPAR Planetary Protection and Human Missions-Principles and Operating Guidelines (2011) [w/ Explanatory Annotations].
- Planetary protection for humans in space: Mars and the Moon (C.A. Conley & J.D. Rummel Acta Astronautica 63 1025–1030 (2008)).
- Report of the MEPAG Mars Human Precursor Science Steering Group: An Analysis of the Precursor Measurements of Mars Needed to Reduce the Risk of the First Human Mission to Mars (Beaty, D. W. et al. JPL Doc. I.D. CL#05-0381 (2005).
- Safe on Mars: Precursor Measurements Necessary to Support Human Operations on the Martian Surface (NRC, Space Studies Board, 2002).
Space Studies Board (National Research Council) Reports Regarding Planetary Protection and Astrobiology
- Evaluating the Biological Potential in Samples Returned From Planetary Satellites and Small Solar System Bodies
- The Search for Life’s Origins: Progress and Future Directions in Planetary Biology and Chemical Evolution
Space Studies Board (National Research Council) Reports Relevant to Solar System Exploration
NASA Books & Documents related to Planetary Protection
- When Biospheres Collide: A History of NASA’s Planetary Protection Programs, Sept. 14 2011, Michael Meltzer
- Lessons Learned from the Viking Planetary Quarantine and Contamination Control Experience, 1988, NASA Contractor Report NASW-4355, L. Daspit, J. Stern & J. Martin
Bibliographies of Planetary Protection (Quarantine) Research (1945-1977)
- Bibliography of Scientific Publications and Presentations Relating to Planetary Quarantine (1966- 1971)