The following document summaries were prepared by Margaret Race, Ph.D., Principal Investigator, SETI Institute. In each category, reports are listed alphabetically by title. Links are provided for reports available online.
NASA Reports on Lunar Sample Handling
- Comprehensive Biological Protocol for the Lunar Sample Receiving Laboratory. Baylor University College of Medicine. NASA NR9-2209, Manned Spacecraft Center, Houston, TX (1967).
- Overview of Implementation of Apollo Quarantine Protocols. Report by J.H. Allton to NASA MELTSWG.
NASA Reports Relating to Mars Sample Return and Handling
- Orbiting Quarantine Facility (OQF): The Antaeus Report. Donald L. DeVincenzi and John R. Bagby, editors. NASA SP-454, Washington, DC (1981).
- Mars Sample Handling and Requirements Panel Final Report. Michael H. Carr, et al., Jet Propulsion Lab, Pasadena, CA, NASA TM-1999-209145 (1999).
- Mars Sample Quarantine Protocol Workshop. D.L. DeVincenzi, J. Bagby, M. Race, and J.D. Rummel, NASA CP-1999-208772, NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA (1999).
- Mars Sample Handling Protocol Workshop Series (Interim reports of Workshops 1, 2, 2a, 3, and 4). NASA Scientific and Technical Information Program Office, Hanover, MD (2000-2002).
- A Draft Test Protocol for Detecting Possible Biohazards in Martian Samples Returned to Earth. J.D. Rummel, M.S.Race, D.L. DeVincenzi, P. J. Schad, P.D. Stabekis, M. Viso & S. E. Acevedo (eds.), NASA/CP-2002-211842, Washington DC (2002)
Reports of the Space Studies Board of the National Research Council, Relating to Planetary Protection
- Biological Contamination of Mars: Issues and Recommendations. Task Group on Planetary Protection. National Academies Press, Washington, DC (1992).
- Evaluating the Biological Potential in Samples Returned from Planetary Satellites and Small Solar System Bodies: Framework for Decision Making. Task Group on Sample Return from Small Solar System Bodies. National Academies Press, Washington, DC (1998).
- Mars Sample Return: Issues and Recommendations. Task Group on Issues in Sample Return. National Academies Press, Washington, DC (1997).
- Preventing the Forward Contamination of Europa. Task Group on the Forward Contamination of Europa. National Academies Press, Washington, DC (2000).
- The Quarantine and Certification of Martian Samples. Committee on Planetary and Lunar Exploration (COMPLEX). National Academies Press, Washington, DC (2002).
- Size Limits of Very Small Microorganisms: Proceedings of a Workshop. National Academies Press, Washington, DC (1999).
Miscellaneous Reports Relating to Planetary Protection
- Safe on Mars: Precursor Measurements Necessary to Support Human Operations on the Martian Surface. NRC Committee on Precursor Measurements Necessary to Support Human Operation on the Surface of Mars. National Academies Press, Washington, DC (2002).
- Traces of Ancient Martian Life in Meteorite ALH84001: An Outline of Status in late 2003. Allan H. Treiman, Lunar and Planetary Institute, Houston, TX (2003).
- Planetary Protection Issues in the Human Exploration of Mars. Race, M.S., M.E. Criswell, and J. D. Rummel. Paper Number 2003-01-2523, International Conference on Environmental Systems (ICES/SAE), Vancouver, B.C. July 2003
The full paper is available here as a PDF file: ices.pdf. Please note that this paper, SAE 2003-01-2523, is the copyright of SAE International (2003), and is published on this web site with permission from SAE International. As a user of this web site, you are permitted to view this paper online, download this pdf file and print one copy at no cost for your use only. The downloaded PDF file and printout of this SAE paper may not be copied, distributed or forwarded to others or for the use of others.