Below are links to publicly available documents related to planetary protection, astrobiology, and solar system exploration.
- Documents are presented in either HTML or PDF formats (a free PDF viewer can be downloaded from Acrobat).
- Many of the following reports are also summarized on this page, courtesy of Margaret Race from the SETI Institute.
NASA Online Library and Reports Server
NASA Planetary Protection Policy & Related Documents
- If any links to a NPR, NPD, or NPI are no longer active, please directly search for the document in the NODIS Library.
- Handbook for the Microbial Examination of Space Hardware (NASA-HDBK-6022, 8.17.2010)
International Treaties and Policies Regarding Planetary Protection
- : Article IX of the 1967 United Nations Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, Including the Moon and Other Bodies
- (International Council for Science): COSPAR Planetary Protection Policy
Communication Strategy for the Office of Planetary Protection
Life Detection & Mars Sample Return
- Mars Sample Return backward contamination – Strategic advice and requirements; European Science Foundation & European Space Sciences Committee.
Human Missions & Planetary Protection
- Planetary protection for humans in space: Mars and the Moon (C. A. Conley & J. D. Rummel Acta Astronautica 63 1025–1030 (2008))
- COSPAR Planetary Protection and Human Missions-Principles and Operating Guidelines (2011) [with Explanatory Annotations]
- Safe on Mars: Precursor Measurements Necessary to Support Human Operations on the Martian Surface (NRC, Space Studies Board, 2002)
- Preparing for the Human Exploration of Mars: Health Care and Planetary Protection Requirements and Practices (J.D. Rummel & C.A. Conley IAC A1.5-15689 (2012))
Space Studies Board (National Research Council) Reports Regarding Planetary Protection and Astrobiology
- Evaluating the Biological Potential in Samples Returned From Planetary Satellites and Small Solar System Bodies
- The Search for Life’s Origins: Progress and Future Directions in Planetary Biology and Chemical Evolution
Space Studies Board (National Research Council) Reports Relevant to Solar System Exploration
NASA Books & Documents related to Planetary Protection
- When Biospheres Collide: A History of NASA’s Planetary Protection Programs, Sept. 14 2011, Michael Meltzer
Bibliographies of Planetary Protection (Quarantine) Research (1945-1977)
- Bibliography of Scientific Publications and Presentations Relating to Planetary Quarantine (1966- 1971)