Below are links to publicly available documents related to planetary protection, astrobiology, and solar system exploration.
- Documents are presented in either HTML or PDF formats (a free PDF viewer can be downloaded from Acrobat).
- Many of the following reports are also summarized on this page, courtesy of Margaret Race from the SETI Institute.
NASA Online Library and Reports Server
NASA Planetary Protection Policy Related Documents
- If any links to a NPR or NPD is no longer active, please directly search for the document in the NODIS Library.
- Handbook for the Microbial Examination of Space Hardware (NASA-HDBK-6022, 8.17.2010)
International Treaties and Policies Regarding Planetary Protection
- : Article IX of the 1967 United Nations Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, Including the Moon and Other Bodies
- (International Council for Science): COSPAR Planetary Protection Policy
Communication Strategy for Planetary Protection
NASA Reports Relating to Mars Sample Return and Handling
Human Missions and Planetary Protection
- Planetary protection for humans in space: Mars and the Moon (C. A. Conley & J. D. Rummel Acta Astronautica 63 1025–1030 (2008))
- COSPAR Planetary Protection and Human Missions-Principles and Operating Guidelines (2008) [annotated]
- Safe on Mars: Precursor Measurements Necessary to Support Human Operations on the Martian Surface (NRC, Space Studies Board, 2002)
- Preparing for the Human Exploration of Mars: Health Care and Planetary Protection Requirements and Practices (J.D. Rummel & C.A. Conley IAC A1.5-15689 (2012))
Space Studies Board (National Research Council) Reports Regarding Planetary Protection and Astrobiology
- Evaluating the Biological Potential in Samples Returned From Planetary Satellites and Small Solar System Bodies
- The Search for Life’s Origins: Progress and Future Directions in Planetary Biology and Chemical Evolution
Space Studies Board (National Research Council) Reports Relevant to Solar System Exploration
NASA Books & Documents related to Planetary Protection
- When Biospheres Collide: A History of NASA’s Planetary Protection Programs, Sept. 14 2011, Michael Meltzer
Bibliographies of Planetary Protection (Quarantine) Research (1945-1977)
- Bibliography of Scientific Publications and Presentations Relating to Planetary Quarantine (1966- 1971)